In January of 1845, Abel Andrews and his brother-in-law Asa Brickett together bought 1,000 acres of land, a part of the Bradly/Eastman Grant. (Most of this land today is the Stone House Farm.) In June 1845, they divided the property in half. Abel Andrews took the eastern half and Asa Brickett took the western half -- as their family homesteads. They started to clear the rocky land and build their homes.
Asa built a brick house similar to his father's house ("the Brickett Place") -- which still stands, up the road about a mile on State Route 113, towards Evans Notch. Unfortunately, there was a persistent bog near Asa's house. (The bog still is there.) The Brickett family abandoned the brick house and built another one -- from wood, further up Blueberry Mountain. The original brick house eventually fell down in the 1940's. Its brick and granite ruins and its sad cellar hole lie behind the old maple trees next to the trailhead for the White Cairn Trail.
Abel Andrews married Lucinda Brickett, Asa's sister. Abel and Lucinda Andrews produced 13 children. Abel initially built a log cabin for his family.
In the early 1850's, with the help of his sons, Abel started to build a 40' x 25' stone house from large granite slabs. The quarried the rock from the face of Rattlesnake Mountain. During the winter, oxen hauled the stone slabs up earthen ramps to build basement and first floor walls. Some slabs are ten feet long, 18" square.
The floors of the seven rooms in the house are made from different wood, from curly maple to oak and red pine. Iron rivets hold the heavy stonework together. Abel piped water into the house by gravity through a lead pipe from Rattlesnake Brook. There were two fireplaces and a bread oven.
A Tedious Brief History
Abel kept a few cattle, six oxen, a horse, sheep, pigs, ducks, geese and hens. He grew apples in three orchards, had grain, root vegetables and <perhaps> the first maple syrup factory in Maine.
Abel's descendants owned the farm until 1917. The Andrews women folk found it too isolated. "There is nothing to do but look at mountains." They sold it to Hugh Hastings who sold it in 1951 to the Saunders Brothers, a lumber company. Saunders Brothers cut most of the timber in the late 1970's and much of the rest blew down in the great windstorm of 1981.
In late 1986, Dave Cromwell (from New Jersey) bought the property and restored it after some 40 years of non-use. The Cromwell / Landry family built a modern guesthouse in 2012 next to the airstrip to make room for the family's six children, their spouses and seven grandchildren so far.
Frank Eastman has been the caretaker for more than 25 years. He has restored the old fieldstone walls, cleared trails and built footbridges,
Andrews Family Reunion 1930